Gainesville Radiology Group, P.C. was founded 31 October 1973 by three Radiologists: Dr. W. Clark Ferrell, Dr. James C. Strittmatter, and Dr. Ralph D. Hopkins. These physicians wanted to improve their ability to deliver high quality imaging services to the people of Gainesville, Hall County and all of Northeast Georgia.
Since the early 1950’s, the group has been the sole provider of professional Radiology services at the Northeast Georgia Medical Center, previously known as Hall County Hospital. The original Radiologist to provide services to our community was Dr. Oliver Ghent, who began practice circa 1952 and retired from Radiology practice in 1973. Dr. W. Clark Ferrell joined him in 1960. Dr. James Strittmatter joined in 1968.
Dr. Ralph D. Hopkins and Dr. J. Louis Spear began practice with the group in 1973 and 1974 respectively, and their arrival began a new era for Radiology in Gainesville. Both had received training in therapeutic Radiology, and “imaged guided procedures.” Percutaneous needle biopsy of the lung, image guided transbronchial biopsy, peripheral angiography (x-ray exam of the arteries of the abdomen, arms and legs) and neuro-angiography (x-ray exam of the arteries of the neck and head) were new procedures both offered, ushering in the concept of Interventional Radiology to Gainesville.
Over the years, additional exceptionally trained, highly skilled Radiologists have continued to be attracted to our practice. Now 15 physicians strong, we offer a wide range of quality diagnostic and interventional services to our patients and referring physicians in Gainesville and throughout Northeast Georgia in the acute care hospital setting, multi-specialty clinics and in dedicated outpatient imaging centers.
Gainesville Radiology Group is fortunate to have the largest and most experienced subspecialty trained group of board certified Radiologists in Northeast Georgia.